NSS STATE AWARDS
A teacher who is desirous of doing community service and youth service joins NSS as Programme Officer. As he/she devotes his/her time and energy for community work and for the motivation of NSS volunteers and the service of community, it is befilling that his/her services are recognized by the community and the institution. Therefore, it is in the interest of National Service Scheme that incentives should be given to outstanding NSS Programme Officers for their dedication and devotion.
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India has instituted National Awards for the Programme coordinators, for the Best NSS Unit, Programme Officer and NSS Volunteers. The State Government also instituted NSS State Awards for the Best Unit, Programme Officer and NSS volunteers who have done excellent work in the field of community development and youth work through National Service Scheme. As per the NSS Manual (Manual – Revised – 2006 P. 82) the terms and conditions of the award at state level may be decided by the state authorities. Govt. of Kerala has been distributing state awards since 1996 but the criterion for the selection of state award has yet to be fixed. When the State Award Committee met for selection last year, the Principal Secretary to Higher Education, directed the State Liaison Officer to prepare the criterion as per the guidelines for Indira Gandhi National Awards. Thus a twenty point criteria is prepared by the State Liaison Officer and approved by the State Advisory Committee.
NATURE OF THE AWARD
NSS State Awards will be given at four levels every year and the details are given below:
1 University/+2Council (State level) (For NSS ProgrammeDevelopment)
2 Programme Officer
3 NSS Unit
4 NSS Volunteers
All the awardees shall also be presented with a Trophy and a Scroll/Certificate.
While considering Awards, in case of non-availability of suitable institutions/candidates from any Universities/Directorates, the Selection Committee may decide not to give the award.
CRITERIA FOR STATE AWARDS
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India has given certain guidelines regarding the eligibility of the Universities, Units, Programme officers and volunteers for the consideration of Indira Gandhi NSS Awards. The NSS Manual also provides guidelines in detail for the NSS awards. As per the guidelines of the ministry and the NSS Manual a criteria is prepared for the Best University/Directorate , the best Unit, Programme Officers and volunteers for State Awards.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
1. The University/+2 Council which has been operating NSS programme continuously for the last five years only shall be considered.
2. The minimum volunteers strength of such institutions should nor be less than 1000.
3. The institution must be very regular and punctual in submitting its programme reports and financial returns.
4. The actual enrolment and special camping targets should have been achieved fully and consistently for at least three years preceding the year in which NSS Award is to be considered.
5. All the NSS Units should have adopted villages/slums/localities for all round development and total literacy.
6. No Vigilance Case/enquiries should be pending against the NSS Cell.
1. The reputation of NSS in the University Jurisdiction.
2. The percentage of NSS volunteers completing 240 hours of work and participation in Special Camping Programmes.
3. The percentage of adopted villages/areas made fully literate.
4. The image of the Programme Co-ordinator, his interest and achievements in providing leadership to the programme.
5. The outstanding contribution of the NSS in various fields consistently for the last 3 years.
6. The perceptible and measurable results achieved so far.
1. Period of service of the Programme Officer He or She should have been trained at TOC and should have completed a minimum of three years as Programme Officer before consideration for the awards.
2. Target achievement in enrolment of volunteers and special camping.As per the guidelines one unit should consist of 100 volunteers. Target achievement denotes the target in enrolment of volunteers and the special camping target. As per the Manual each unit should consist of 100 volunteer and at least 50% of them should participate in the annual special camp.
3. Training and orientation of Programme Officer.While considering the University for the award, the number of Programme Officers who have attended the orientation or refresher courses should be looked into. The Programme Officers should have attended the orientation or refresher Courses.
4. Adoption of villages /Slums Each unit of the institution should have an adopted village /slum and the percentage of literacy observed is also important.
5. Creation of durable assetsThe NSS Unit should have created durable assets in the adopted village such as construction of houses, toilets, libraries, roads, wells, ponds etc.
6. Innovative programmes The unit should have organized some creative and unique programmes.
7. Environment enrichment programmes
8. Health Awareness Programmes
9. Literacy Programmes
10. Women Empowerment Programmes
11. Programmes for Personality Development and Leadership Qualities, National Integration Programmes, Programmes for social harmony.
12. Computer Literacy
13. Programmes for making the Village self-sufficient
14. Relief Activities
15. Blood Donation drive The claim for blood donation should be adequately supported by certificates.
16. Observation of Important Days.
17. Career Guidance
18. Participation in National programmes like Pre-RD Camp, RD Camp, National Integration Camp, National Youth Festivals etc.
19. Acceptability of the Programme Officer
20. Awards & Distinctions received by the volunteer and Programme Officer.
Note: The basic requirements expected from an Award File are that every claim made in it must be supported by proper documents. There should be photographs, news paper cuttings and notices. If there is any claim to have conducted a survey, the survey report and the follow up action should be included.
1. He/she should not be less than 18 years or more than 25 years in age. In case of SC/ST the upper age limit can be relaxed by 3 yrs. In other words the maximum age limit should be 28 years for SC/ST.
2. A student should have completed a maximum of two years of Volunteership in NSS.
3. He / She should have completed 240 hours of Community Service.
4. She / He should have participated in at least 2 Special Camping Programmes and at least once in National Programmes like Pre-RD Camps, RD Parade Camp in Delhi, National Integration Camp, Inter-State Youth Exchange Programmes etc. sponsored by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports.
5. Involvement in Blood Donation Drive & Relief Activities.
6. Literacy Programmes – Legal Literacy, Computer Knowledge.
7. Leadership Qualities
8. Environmental enrichment programme / Health Awareness Programme, Energy Conservation Programme.
9. His / Her academic performance should be reasonably good.
10. Outstanding Contribution.
List of State Award Winners
INDIRA GANDHI NSS AWARD
Recognising the voluntry services rendered by NSS Volunteers. Programme Officers, NSS Units and the Universities NSS Cell, Government of India has instituted NSS Awards to provide suitable incentives/awards to the field functionaries.
• To recognize outstanding contribution of University NSS Cells, Programme Officers, College/+2 NSS Units and NSS student volunteers in community service.
• To encourage young NSS student volunteers to develop their personality through community service and acquire positive social attitudes and values.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
a) The University/+1 Council which has been operating NSS programme continuously for the last five years only shall be considered.
b) The minimum volunteers’ strength of such institution should not be less than 1,000.
c) The institution must be very regular and punctual in submitting its programme reports and financial returns.
d) The actual enrolment and special camping targets should have been achievedfully and constituently for at least three years proceeding the year in which NSS Award is to be considered.
e) All the NSS units should have adopted villages/slums/localities for all round development and total literacy.
f) No vigilance case/enquiries should be pending against the NSS Cell.
NSS Units and Programme Officers
a) The NSS Unit should have been in existence continuously for a period of five years preceding the year for which the award is considered.
b) The Unit(s) should have achieved its enrolment and special camping targets continuously for the last three years.
c) Colleges/Schools where there are more than one NSS units, such units shouldhave achieved their enrolment and camping targets fully and consistently.
d) Each NSS Unit should village/slum/local it ie’s and activities continuously havecarrying adopted on their activities continuously.
e) The NSS Unit should have created durable assets and achievements in theadopted village/urban slum/community.
f) The Programme Officers for all the NSS Units should have been selected as per NSS guidelines.
g) He/she should have been trained at TORC/TOC and should have completed aminimum of two years as Programme Officer before consideration for the Award.
h) The NSS Programme Officer Award will go to those Programme Officer whoseunit has bagged the NSS Unit Award for the same year.
i) No vigilance case/investigation should be pending against him/her.
a) A student should have completed a minimum of two years of volunteership in NSS.
b) He/She should have participated in at least two Special Camping Programmeand at least once in National Programmes like R.D. Parade Camp in Delhi, National Integration Camps, National Motivation Camps, Inter – State Youth Exchange Programmes etc. sponsored by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports.
c) He/She should not be less than 18 years and more than 25 years in age. In case of SC/ST, the upper age limit can be relaxed by 3 years. In other words, the maximum age limit should be 28 years for SC/ST.
d) He/She should have completed 240 hours of community service during two consecutive years of volunteership.
e) His/Her academic performance should have been reasonably good.